Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011 Resolutions

Looking back to my last year's resolutions, I can already see that I failed to accomplish some of them. This only means I will have to work much harder to achieve said goals this year. I decided to go over them now, see where my progress is, and then I can work towards setting my next years resolutions.

1. Go to class and study. I think that I achieved this. My previous lack of motivation and focus were replaced in 2011. I managed to make the Dean's List for the first time spring semester. I ended my summer semester with A's across the board and this past fall I got 5 A's and 1 B. I am actually fairly surprised, but I made it to class on time every day, minus a couple sick days near the end. I also worked hard on making study guides and keeping up with all the required reading that needed to be done. I think all of these things helped me develop better study skills and achieve my goal. I definitely left room for improvement, though. I know that I wasn't performing my best and that is where I should be at. I want to make it to a good grad school and get a good career that I'm happy in, for that I need to work harder.

2. Convert to a Vegan lifestyle. I lasted about 3 or 4 months as a vegan. I have to say, giving up cheese was probably the hardest part. Nutritional yeast and some of the soy/rice/veggie cheeses can come close, but it is just not the same. I did continue as a vegetarian. I was not strict about it, I had meat at my friend's wedding and then again in November. I have been eating meat since. :( I will get back on track again. My main concern is cost at this point. I do want to lessen my meat intake overall, I just need to find an effective way to do it.

3. Go Green. I started recycling anything and everything that my local recycling center would accept. Everyone in the family got into it. I also did my best to use less water, conserve energy sources by shutting and unplugging them when not in use, and cut consumption of resources. I think I've been doing good in this area. I continue to try and improve on this all the time.

4. Pay Bills on Time and Follow my Budget. This got better. However, I failed to do well in this area. I succumb to consumerism just as much as some of my other fellow Americans. It's awful. I need to work on this. I am still in debt, I still have bills I need to pay, and I still have bad credit. This will be one to carry on into 2012.

5. Exercise 4 Times a Week. Yeah... let's just say this lasted a month and then I gave up. I'm going to leave it at that without trying to make an excuse for it. Let's be honest, there is no excuse, I'm just lazy and hate exercising.

6. Write a Novel. I got to about 34,000 in the Camp NANOWRIMO challenge. I however stopped trying and fell off the writing wagon. I did get the book Ready, Set, Novel by Lindsey Grant, Tavia Stewart-Streit and Chris Baty for Christmas, from laura_megan. I think that it will help me get focused on my novel writing this year. I hope for the best.


7. Blog twice weekly. This didn't happen, I don't know why, I just failed. I signed up to do the Ultimate Blog Challenge this month though. I hope that kicks my but into gear.


8. Quit Smoking. I got close, but no cigar. I will be attempting this one again. It's bad for me all around. I know this. I will do it. 


9. Be Clutter Free. In August I managed to get rid of a TON of our old stuff in a garage sale. I didn't get rid of everything unfortunately. My garage is still full of unneeded things and so is my house, but it's significantly less full. This year I will get rid of the rest, hopefully.


10. Rigorous Honesty. I did what I could, but I still held some things back. I don't want to go into depth with this one right now, but I think that I can expand on this with a different idea in 2012. I'm just going to leave it there because it's become sort of a soft subject with me. 


Next blog will be of 2012 resolutions. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment