Sunday, September 12, 2010

Friends

As I was sitting on my balcony this morning, watching the sun come up and listening to the distant sounds of my children playing in their room, I realized that I don't have a best friend. Everyone has a best friend. I've had a few. We've managed to grow apart or get blocked by something else. It's the friend you do everything with, tell everything to. You know that if you're having a really bad day, you can call that person and they will be there, no matter what.

I recently came to a realization that my best friend and I have began to grow apart. When I moved from the Twin Cities back to Fargo-Moorhead, we slowly started to grow apart. We had little and little to talk about. This last weekend when we were supposed to hang out and catch up, I was blown off. It made me see that maybe we aren't best friends anymore, hell maybe we never were. I'm not bitter about it, I'm happy I can still say I know she is my friend, but it's not that next level anymore. She has someone else, and I'm okay with that.

Here I sit now, missing that extra person in my life. I want to be able to call someone and talk for hours. I want them to come over to my house and sit up with me drinking wine and watching movies. I want to share myself with someone, I want that connection. I miss that friend. I used to have that feeling, the feeling that I had someone. No matter what I knew that in the end I had someone who believed in me and I believed in them just as much. I knew that if I wanted to go on a road trip on a whim, they would be in the passenger seat. I knew if I wanted to try some crazy weight loss plan, they were going to try it with me. I knew that they knew everything about me and I knew everything about them. There was no reason to lie or cover up parts of your life because they didn't care. They simply loved you and you loved them.

I miss that friend, I want that friend, I hope that someday I will have that friend again.

I have a ton of great friends in my life however that continue to keep me smiling and I wouldn't trade them for anything else in this world. I simply miss a partner in crime. I no longer have that and I want it back, want it more than I can say.

3 comments:

  1. I miss when we were like that. <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been experiencing that lately. I have Joey, who I can do all those things with, but I miss my "girl" friends. My partner in crime was raised with me, and she lives only a few blocks down the road again, but we have drifted apart. When we do connect, she understands more than anyone. We just don't do the same things anymore.

    I am starting to learn that we go through phases. We have to let go, and sometimes we have to hold on tighter. It is hard to figure out when to do what. I had one of my best friends blow me off, and finally last night, we hung out like old times. She was going through something, and I gave her time. I just wish people would reach out for my support more often.

    *Big hugs!* I hope you find what you are looking for and know that you aren't alone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Paige I miss when we were like that too. I wish we lived closer. That seems to be my issue with a lot of things lately. <3

    @Natasha Thank you, it's good to know I'm not alone because lately it has been an overwhelming feeling that I am and I hate it. *Big Hugs*

    ReplyDelete